Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Jon McGovern, My Roommate the Genius

By Curtis Dunlap

The Election and My Roommate

I live off Campus with a friend, Adam McGovern, who graduated last year from Avila, another friend, Carlton Kenny, the homeowner and Jon McGovern, Adams older brother. Adam works at an insurance company, Carlton works at Honeywell and Jon is a programmer. Little did I know my roommate would be on T.V. for his profession.  You see, Jon designed a website that could take information from social networking sites, see what was trending and then compile that data to see which candidate was more likely to be voted for.
I came home from class one day to see my three roommates gathered around our T.V. staring intently. I wondered what was going on and they called me in to see that Jon was on the news for his website. It could actually show how many people were logging onto his site and checking the stats of the votes. Although the newswomen misinterpreted what Jon was saying, he said that it cannot tell you who was actually going to win, it just compiled the data and made an estimate of who was more popular based on what people were saying on social networking websites.
Now Jon and Adam wanted Mitt Romney to win, and when they got the news that Obama had a second term they were a little frustrated. I still thought it was interesting and honestly pretty cool that my roommate was on T.V. the news no less, for a website that he designed to predict who could win the election. I don’t know what exactly they wanted out of Romney but I know they were upset, especially Jon. All I could do was tell him how cool I thought it was he was on T.V.. later they told me that he had been on the news before for being recognized as most likely to succeed. When I heard that I wasn’t surprised that he was on the news again. Turns out he is pretty much a genius. My roommates get on T.V. have high paying jobs, and are some of the smartest people I know. And now that the election is over, Jon can fix any bugs his website had and make it even better. There’s always next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment